Saturday, November 26, 2005

Germany's DW looking for partners for radio, TV

Press Trust of IndiaNew Delhi, November 25, 2005
Germany's international broadcaster Deutsche Welle has said it wasinterested in entering the television and FM radio space in India, though itwas wary about the restrictions on news and current affairs programmes forforeign broadcasters."India is an important country and we are looking for partnerships here," DW Director-General Erik Bettermann said.He said DW, which had revenues of about 300 million Euros last year, wasopen to making investments in the Indian market, in case right opportunitiesand partners came its way.Among others, Bettermann held meetings with top officials of publicbroadcasters All-India Radio and DD during his visit to the nationalcapital, and welcomed the government's decision to allow foreign directinvestment in FM radio.He, however, expressed reservations over some of the restrictions on foreignbroadcasters in respect of news and current affairs programmes. "Free pressis a pre-condition for democracy... Open the sector for foreignbroadcasters. It is the trend worldwide," he said.While the government has disallowed news and current affairs programming inprivate FM radio, foreign TV news broadcasters like BBC and CNN cannot haveprogramming and advertising specifically designed for Indian audience.DW, which transmits multilingual feed over its network including in Hindi,offers 29 radio channels apart from its TV channels. It is mandated bypublic law and funded by the federal government.The German network, whose programming ranges from news, features, sports andbackgrounders, may look for a content tie-up with an Indian radio partnerand offer programmes on sports, culture and lifestyle.Thomas Barthlein, a senior official of DW, said that the broadcaster wasalso speaking to direct-to-home (DTH) service providers in India like Zeeand Prasar Bharati for making their TV channels available on their platform.This was apart from the efforts on the FM radio side, he said.After the liberalisation in the FM sector, which included shifting to arevenue share regime and allowing 20 per cent FDI, the market has seeninterest from a variety of broadcasters.BBC is believed to have filed an application with the Foreign InvestmentPromotion Board for a 20 per cent stake in a radio company while others likeUKs Virgin group are also keen on a radio foray.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1556298,00020020.htm

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:58 AM

    voice message broadcasting was the subject I was researching when I came across your site, Alokesh. General interest and popularity of the subject this post has lead me to your site as well as to voice message broadcasting. Yours is a fine site providing a real service and exceptional content. Thanks for reading my comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:51 PM

    Hello there, Alokesh, I thought your this post blog was great with good comments. Awesome. Nice Blog. voice broadcasting leadsl .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:47 PM

    Hi, Alokesh, I liked your blog its my first time here! If you are interested, go see my voice broadcasting related site. Its purley for Businesses who need telemarketing.http://www.lowcosttraffic.com/mlm-telerecruiter.html

    All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Hi Alokesh, this post, was Not what I was searching for, which is voice broadcasting. but none the less and interesting blog here. Thanks for putting it up. I've enjoyed reading alot of the text here. I got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back http://www.lowcosttraffic.com/mlm-telerecruiter.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:54 PM

    Hi Alokesh, this post, was not exactly what I was searching for, which is telemarketing services. but none the less very intersting blog here. Thanks for putting it up. telemarketing services I got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:54 PM

    Hi, Alokesh, I was surfing and searching for some info on telemarketing leads and noticed your site. Your this post this post though sounded interesting so I took a look. It was not relevant to my telemarketing leads I was glad to read your interesting comments. Keep up the fantastic blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:41 PM

    Hi there Alokesh. I was searching for the latest information on telemarketing services and somehow, which I don't understand, found your site. Although this post wasn't what I was interested in, I'm sure glad I found your site. I'll keep on looking for telemarketing services but I just had to comment on how much I enjoyed reading the comments here. telemarketing services I bookmarked your site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Hi, I was surfing and searching for some info on radio stations and noticed your site. Your post this post sounded interesting so I took a look. Even though my main interest is radio stations I was glad to stop by and view your interesting comments. I will come back. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete